Monday, January 14, 2013

CJJF @ UFC

Today several people from the Caveirinha Jiu-Jitsu Family met up to roll at the UFC gym. There was over a dozen of us and we took up almost the whole mat room. It was great to see so many people show up, some I hadn't seen in quite a while. Clinton got things started by playing coach. He paired us up for a 5 minute flow roll. For those who don't know, a flow roll is when you go at about half intensity and just go through the motions of different positions and techniques without trying to submit your partner. It's a way of warming up.

Next, Clinton partnered us up for sparring. 10 minute rounds, a new partner every round. I don't think I've ever done a 10 minute sparring session so things were going to get exhausting. And somewhere around round 3, I was feeling exhausted. No problem though, we only did about 6 rounds...actually I have no idea how many rounds we did. I just know we were there for about 2 hours.

It was good fun. I caught a few submissions, got caught in a few submissions, learned a few techniques, and nearly passed out. That was a new one actually, the nearly passing out part. I was rolling with Cyrus and he attacked a choke at the same time I was trying to advance my position. I figured if I got to the better position it would lessen the pressure of the choke. I eventually did get into a better spot but I was so caught up in gaining position that I forgot I was getting choked. There wasn't much blood getting to my brain and things were starting to look hazy. I tapped out, Cyrus let go, I don't remember moving but when I became aware again I was sitting on the mat and Cyrus was off his back sitting up too. When did he do that?? I think I winked out there for a second which leads me to believe if I tried to hold off any longer I would've fully gone out.

All of us were there to roll and have fun but some had the extra incentive to train for the upcoming Abu Dhabi Trials on Feb 2. For those who don't know, Abu Dhabi is a world renown grappling tournament held in...you'll never guess where...Abu Dhabi. Those who do well enough in the trials get an invitation to the main event. There are a handful of CJJF members that have signed up to compete in the trials, and I believe there are a few more to come as well. I will not be competing myself but will be there to watch and support CJJF. In the meantime, I hope there are more rolling sessions like today. It was exhausting but damn good fun.


CJJF rolling session at UFC Gym

2 comments:

  1. Great training Greer! Hope you don't mind if I share this on the CJJA FB :)

    ReplyDelete